Police Officer Job Summary:
Under general supervision, performs police patrol, traffic control and enforcement, initial investigations into criminal and non-criminal activity and related functions involving the safety and protection of life and property. Promotes crime prevention, fosters positive relationships with the community and embraces the community policing philosophy, apprehends criminals, and enforces local ordinances, State and Federal laws and regulations in a designated area during an assigned shift.
Auxiliary Police Officer Job Summary:
Under general supervision, accompanies sworn officers on police patrol, traffic control and enforcement, and initial investigations into criminal and non-criminal activity and related functions involving the safety and protection of life and property. Accompany sworn police officers in the apprehension of criminals and during the enforcement of local ordinances, State, and Federal laws and regulations in a designated area during an assigned shift. Functioning independently, Auxiliary Police Officers foster positive relationships with the community and embrace the community policing philosophy, conduct non-criminal investigations, enforce local ordinances, and focus on a specific mission:
1. To aid and direct traffic within the municipality
2. To aid in control of natural or man-made disasters
3. To aid in case of civil disorder, as directed by the Chief of Police
4. Under the direction of the Chief of Police, when it is impractical for members of the regular police department to perform those normal and regular police duties, to be assigned such duties
Application and Hiring Information:
The Leland Police Department continuously accepts applications for both Auxiliary Police Officers, and Illinois certified Police Officers. Because the Department frequently recruits currently employed Auxiliary Police Officers, for vacancies of Police Officer positions, the Department DOES NOT accept applications for the position of Police Officer from persons who are not already certified or eligible for a waiver from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
The Leland Police Department desires to employ only the most qualified individuals; therefore certified Police Officers and individuals wishing to be considered for a position as an Auxiliary Police Officer (volunteer) should review the following criteria.
All Applicants desiring consideration must:
- Possess strong characteristics of integrity, compassion, and honor
- Display a passion for public service and embrace the community policing concept
- Analyze situations quickly and accurately
- Possess sound reasoning and decision making abilities
- Be able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Function well during high stress, emergency situations
- Communicate clearly; both written and orally
- Work effectively and professionally with the general public and co-workers
- Although the department strives to be flexible in scheduling, applicants must understand they will be required to work odd or unusual hours, weekends, and holidays should they be selected for employment
All Applicants shall meet or exceed the following basic requirements:
- Be no younger than 21 years of age at the time of application
- Have earned a high school diploma, or equivalent
- An Associate Degree is preferred, although not required
- Be a United States citizen
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Be of good moral turpitude
- Have not been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude or any state or federal statute prohibiting employment in the designated capacity
- Possess a valid FOID card by the time of appointment
Application and Testing Process:
Upon submitting a fully completed employment application with all required documentation, based on department staffing needs, applicants may be contacted to continue the testing process. Applicants should be prepared to undergo the following if selected to move forward in the testing process:
- Written/ aptitude examination
- In depth and extensive pre-employment background investigation
- One or more interviews with Department Command Officers
- Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) test
- Polygraph and/ or Voice Stress Analysis
- Drug Screen
- Medical Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Any additional testing as required/ requested
Applications can be picked up at the department or downloaded from the bottom of this page. Applications should be typed or neatly printed in black ink. Completed applications accompanied by ALL required documents may be submitted to the department by mailing them to:
Leland Police Department
ATTN: Personnel and Recruitment
175 N. Main St.
P.O. Box 55
Leland, IL. 60531
All Leland Police Department employees must successfully complete a one (1) year probationary period.
Auxiliary Police Officers, although identified as “employees”, are uncompensated volunteers.
Auxiliary Police Officers are ineligible for selection of appointment as a Police Officer until completing two (2) years of service with the Department.
Eligible applications are retained for a period of two (2) years before being purged
The Leland Police Department, and the Village of Leland, is an equal opportunity employer.